IBECCS: an affordable and practical sustainability consultancy
IBECCS stands for Ian Byrne Energy & Carbon Consultancy Services. It was established in late 2018 to enable Ian, working with like-minded associates, to carry forward initiatives in the field of sustainable energy and greenhouse gas (GHG) management. This includes, but is not limited, to:
- Practical advice on energy efficiency and energy management for non-industrial users, with a focus on SMEs, NGOs and the public sector (but occasionally extended to private households)
- Support for carbon footprinting, generally at an organisational level, and charting a path towards carbon neutrality
- Development of energy or carbon policies, including targeting
- Standardisation, at national, European (CEN) and international (ISO) levels
- Application of a whole systems approach to energy & carbon, integrating demand for heat and power with mobility – including electrification of heat through heat pumps and the shift towards EVs
- Encouraging behaviour change, through provision of information and training
Ian Byrne – the principal of IBECCS
Ian Byrne, IBECCS’s principal, has over 30 years’ experience working in the sustainable energy sector. Ian is both a Chartered Accountant (FCA) and a Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv) bringing a unique combination of skills and rigour to energy and carbon accounting; he is also a Certified Monitoring & Verification Professional (CMVP) but is keen that concepts such as climate change – and the contribution of energy savings to its mitigation – should be explained in everyday English without jargon.
Over this period, among his many activities, he has:
- Written energy and carbon neutrality strategies for various public authorities;
- Acted as the Honorary Treasurer (and Council/Board member) for the Society for the Environment (2010-2019) and Institution of Environmental Sciences (2019 to date);
- Chaired the UK Shadow Committee SES/1/7 (GHG Mitigation and Adaptation) at British Standards Institution (BSI) (2019 to date) and been vice-Chair of SEM/1 (Energy Management) which shadows ISO 50001 and related standards since 2014;
- Convened the international working group that published ISO 50047 “Determination of Energy Savings in Organizations” (2014-16) and co-convened the working group drafting ISO 50009 on “Energy Management in Multiple Organizations” (2018 to date);
- Led the secretariat of the Green Energy Supply Certification Scheme (2009-2015) and the Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme (1996-2006);
- Project managed the establishment of the Energy Saving Trust’s network of Energy Efficiency Advice Centres (1993-2001);
- Managed various EU-funded projects (SAVE-Altener, FP 5, 6 & 7, Interreg, Horizon 2020) and co-ordinated grant applications/tenders to EU/Government bodies;
- Been a Board Director of United Sustainable Energy Agency & Kirklees Energy Services, and the Deputy Chief Executive of the National Energy Foundation (1995-2018);
- Undertaken technical reviews of, and quality control on, sub-contractors’ ESOS reports, and been a Monitoring Officer for InnovateUK;
- Acted as the Secretary of Energiesprong (UK) Ltd (2015 to date) supporting whole house refurbishments.
Ian has given regular presentations to conferences on energy efficiency and sustainable buildings, including edie.live (NEMEX), EMEX and ESTA in the UK and internationally in countries as diverse as South Korea, Turkey and Vietnam; he is also an occasional expert on BBC radio & TV.